Purse/Awards/Race Records BulletinThursday, Jun. 1 2017
Purse/Awards/Race Records Bulletin
Posted Online: June 1, 2017
Last Updated: June 1, 2017
(Subject to Change)
The PPIHC is pleased to collaborate with Colorado Springs-based Glassical Designs to produce crystal trophies featuring the original Penrose Trophy design from the inaugural 1916 race. In addition to the crystal trophies, the following awards will be presented:
TAG Heuer, the PPIHC’s Official Timekeeper, will present ten Connected Watches to participants in the 95th running of the Race to the Clouds; seven to will be distributed amongst the winners of each division, two will be awarded to the Rookies of the Year (one for the two-wheeled and one for the four-wheeled), and one will be presented as a “Don’t Crack Under Pressure” Award to a competitor selected by TAG Heuer representatives.
The cash purse for the 2017 Race will be $100,000. The purse-eligible divisions will receive $75,000 of the total purse. Any competitor(s) breaking the 8-minute, 30-second mark (8:29.999 or faster) will split the remaining $25,000 of the purse with a maximum of $10,000 going to a single competitor. The purse and non-purse eligible divisions for cars and motorcycles are listed below.
The 2017 purse allocation was approved by the PPIHC Board of Directors on April 25, 2017 with the following breakdown:
- $5,000.00 will be distributed between the Car & Motorcycle Kings of the Mountain. The cash allocation between the Car & Motorcycle competitors with the fastest overall time will be determined based on the percentage of entries each discipline makes of the entire field.
- For example, if there are 67 entries in the Car field and 33 in the Motorcycle field, the Cars and Motorcycle fields would receive 67% & 33% respectively of the $5,000.00 King of the Mountain allocation.
- $10,000.00 shall be distributed between the Pikes Peak Challenge – Car & Motorcycle Divisions. The cash allocation between the Pikes Peak Challenge – Car & Motorcycle Divisions will be determined based on the percentage of entries each makes of the entire Pikes Peak Challenge field.
- For example, if there are 23 entries in the Pikes Peak Challenge – Car field and 10 in the Pikes Peak Challenge – Motorcycle field, the Pikes Peak Challenge – Car and Motorcycle fields would receive 70% & 30% respectively of the $10,000.00 Pikes Peak Challenge allocation.
- REMINDER: Only the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers for the Pikes Peak Challenge – Car and Motorcycle Divisions will receive purse funds.
- $60,000.00 will be distributed evenly between the remaining purse eligible divisions/classes based on the number of participants in a division/class.
- $25,000.00 will be split among any competitor(s) breaking the eight minute thirty second mark (8:29.999 or faster) with a maximum of $10,000.00 going to an individual entry.
- NOTE: All percentage based purse allocations will be determined based on the number of eligible entries that cross the Start Line on Race Day (6/25/2017).
Per the 2017 PPIHC Rule Book, the following chart lists which divisions/classes are eligible for division/class records, purse payouts, awards, and TAG Heuer Connected Watches.
- Overall Class winners will receive an award and will be announced at the award ceremony (1st place only).
- First, second and third place winners in the division as a whole (Pikes Peak Challenge Car Division) will podium, receive awards, and be purse eligible.
- First, second and third place winners in the division as a whole (Pikes Peak Challenge Motorcycle Division) will podium, receive awards, and be purse eligible.
The number of places paid in each eligible division/class will be determined by the number of eligible entries that cross the Start Line on Race Day. The parameters listing how many places will be paid for a division/class based on the divisions/classes allocation of the purse is as follows: