Rookie OrientationWednesday, Apr. 27 2016
Posted Online: April 27, 2016
Subject to Change
All Rookie Competitors will be required to attend a mandatory on-course Rookie Orientation Session on Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain Monday, June 20, 2016 at 11:00am. Each competitor will be paired with a mentor for this Orientation Session. All Rookies must be at the PPIHC Start Line (in the car pit area) by 11:00am. After a quick meeting, all Rookie Competitors will be paired with a veteran PPIHC competitor who will mentor newcomers while teaching them the course in a street legal road car at posted speeds. The mentors will drive the course, answer questions, provide insight, etc.
Here is a timeline of events for Rookies:
- Registration in the Breckenridge Room at Hotel Eleganté will be open on Sunday, June 19, 2016 from 5:00-7:00pm for any Rookie competitors that would like to register early (this is highly recommended). Registration for all other competitors will be open on Monday, June 20, 2016 from 8:00am-5:00pm. All competitors must go through registration at Hotel Eleganté before going through Technical Inspection. Competitors will not be able to go through Tech without first registering.
- Rookie Car and Bike Competitors will Tech at The Broadmoor World Arena (see Tech Inspection bulletin for more details) from 9:00-10:30am. Please be there at 8:30am to line up.
- 11:00am-3:30pm – Mandatory Rookie Orientation Session (Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain )
- 5:00-6:00pm – Mandatory Rider/Driver Meeting (Hotel Eleganté – Pikes Peak Room #3 Joint Session)(Drivers will break off after the joint session and move to Pikes Peak Room #1)
In order to make sure all Rookie competitors are at the Start Line on Pikes Peak by 11:00am Monday the 20th , the following procedure is recommended:
- Car Competitors arrive at Technical Inspection with their full race suite and safety gear. Upon arriving at Tech, competitors should go directly to the scales (even if the car is still in line) with their gear to be weighed separate from their vehicle in an effort to prevent being late to the Rookie Orientation Session. If a competitor needs to leave early to ensure they are on time for the Rookie Orientation Session, crew members can finish Tech-ing the vehicle without them. Motorcycle competitors also need to bring their gear for inspection, but will not have to be weighed.
The Rookie Orientation Session is limited to rookie competitors only. No media, crew, friends or family will be allowed to attend. Failure to comply or attend may result in penalties.
Any competitor that fails to attend the mandatory rider/driver meeting at 5:00pm at Hotel Eleganté on Monday, June 20th , will not be allowed to practice or qualify until they are authorized to do so by the Assistant Director of Competition, Director of Competition, or a designee.
The mandatory rider/driver meetings will be limited to competitors and owner/crew-chief. The meetings are closed to family members, spectators and the media. Failure to comply or attend may result in penalties.